Sunday, September 10, 2006

"Benjamin! Can you come up here for a second!" my father bellows.

Benjamin sits in front of a television, covered in a down blanket nearly half asleep. His father's voice nearly scared him.

"Yeah, yeah I'm coming" Benjamin groaned.

He kicked off the down comforter and trudged upstairs to what was probably another punishment for not making his bed or forgetting to do the dishes for another night.

"I'll do the dishes tonight Dad. I'm sorry I forgot again." Benjamin called up when climbing the stairs.

To his surprize and almost dismay, his Father was doing them. Father motioned him to sit at one of the chairs in the kitchen.

"Have a seat." he said in a calm voice.

Benjamin slowly took a seat at the far end of the table, staring at Father.

"How are you doing Ben?" he asked.

"I'm doing alright" Ben answered puzzledly

"I just wanted to check up with you, see how you are doing."

"Check up on me?"

"Yeah, I feel as a father, and with you being a growing boy that we have these talks"

"These talks? Oh boy here it is."

Father continued to do the dishes, with this odd look of confidence in his voice.

"Have you met any girls Benjamin?" he asked.

"Not many...no."

"Have you, considered possibly asking a girl -"

"No. N-no Dad. I haven't." I interrupted.

"Well, you know you are getting to that age where your body-"

"...goes through a lot of changes, yes I know. I know all about it."

"You do?" he questioned.

"Yeah, for the most part, I do." I heaved.

"Well, thats good. That's good Benjamin. Do you like anyone right now?" he asked.

"Yeah, I guess I do. But, they are completely out of my league."

"Well, it never hurts to ask or something."

"I don't know. I guess I'm not really looking. There aren't a lot of girls that like the same stuff I do."

"I suppose that is understandible." Father said.

He finished up the rest of the dishes and leaned up against the fridge.

"Well, thats all I wanted. You know, just a check up. I knew it would be easy with you."

"Well how'd you know that?" Benjamin asked.

"You are a smart kid Benjamin. For the most part."

"For the most part? What does that supposed to mean?"

Father walked over to where Benjamin was sitting and patted him on the head. Messing up his hair.

"Next time, just clean up really good in the shower when you are done okay?"

A look of horror came across Benjamin's face.

"Thanks, buddy. I know that will be the last time."

2 Comments:

Blogger Dimebag said...

Ha! I was wondering where this was going as I read it. Eww!!! Sounds like something I'd say to my roommates. "Next time, just clean up really good in the shower when you are done okay?"

It's a humorous, short little anecdote. You could even send it in to Reader's Digest...ok, maybe not.

10:46 AM  
Blogger R. said...

"with this odd look of confidence in his voice."

Hmmmmm, Ryan. That's a weird description. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around it.

This post really highlights some of your talents that I remember from last semester, your skill with dialogue, especially. The nonverbal gestures in this piece are strong, too, as they reveal character.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home