Sunday, January 31, 2010

About three times a week I go to a gym in one of the neighboring towns that I work in (I'd like to go more but it turns out how my schedule works out that Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are when I go). One night, I was making my way back as normal and something happened to me which is really odd. I had completely lost direction and sense of where I was. I was driving down 694 heading east and I was thinking about something to which I cannot remember anymore and when I popped out of my daydream I had thought I was heading south but nothing I was looking at looked familiar at all. For the next minute, I was trying to gather my bearings to find out where the hell I was. When recollecting about the event now, I realized from when I got off the ramp and started driving, I had forgotten the last 30 seconds or so of my drive. I'd like to inform the drivers of Minnesota that this isn't an often occurrence at all but peculiar none the less. It was around the same realm of drifting off in class in high school or college where you are seemingly aware of your surroundings, the people next to you and the lecture taking place in front of you - but nothing is processing. My only problem was that I was driving a steel brick hurdling down the roads at 65 miles per hour. Has this happened to you out there, oh reader of my blog? If so, please do tell.

On the same note, I'd like to talk a little more about my previous post that I had heard on NPR. Now, the thing you have to know with NPR and me is that when I headed down south near a stone throw away from the Iowa border, the choice of radio stations is pretty lacking. I used to ridicule my friends (Faraci especially) for listening to radio that I had assumed was the equivalent to paint drying on a wall. Yet, one evening after surfing the radio waves for something remotely exciting than the static I was receiving, I stumbled upon Fresh Air and the entertainment interviews they were doing. I remember one trip they had did a great interview with Judd Apatow. Another was Ed Helms right before the Hangover craze and soon the radio personalities of Keillor, the boys at Car Talk, and the best radio game show I've heard so far, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, started to blare out my speakers the latter half of my journey. (It's funny hearing people's voices and then seeing their Wikipedia pages and pictures. I'm looking at you Peter Sagal

Anyways, I was listening to The Story where Christopher Meyer was interviewed about his time as U.S. ambassador during the 9/11 attacks and hearing his story and the British point of view was pretty emotional for me. Everybody remembers where they were during those attacks and I have yet to have one American NOT know where they were as both towers were hit and collapsed.

I remember being in 10th grade - just starting in fact and heading my way to class when I passed by a classroom that had a television on to CNN where one of the twin towers was on fire. The next couple class periods were spent watching all morning coverage and seeing both towers fall on the screen. I remember school that day being a bit quieter that day. And now since having been to New York and seeing the hole in the ground there, that silence in my school was there nearly 8 years after it had happened. People were just standing and staring what what used to be 8 years ago. Some took pictures and other whispered. Others just walked on by.

I'm not really sure where this was all supposed to go. I guess I was just thinking about that all recently.

I'm going to trying to have my second part of the white room up by tomorrow and have it be updated every Monday until I finish it. That's a good plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home